Thursday, 7 August 2014

Ebola, now a matter of national emergency, FG declares


The Federal government has declared the Ebola outbreak in Nigeria a matter of national Emergency, adding that everyone is now at risk of being infected.

Speaking with State House correspondence at the end of today's Federal Executive Council meeting, the Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu said the Nigerian government has written to the Director of the United State Centre for Disease Control to request for the release of some of the unapproved Zmapp drug which has proven to be useful in the treatment of the Ebola disease. He said the Federal government awaits a response from the United state government and hopeful if the drugs are released, they could be used to treat the confirmed cases of the Ebola virus disease in Nigeria.

Julius Agwu declares intention to run for Governor of Rivers State


This is no joke o, comedian Julius Agwu has officially declared his intentions to run for governor of Rivers State in 2015. Julius said he decided to join the governorship race after pressure from his people to lead them. The party he will contest under will be unveiled in due course he says

Monday, 4 August 2014

Nigerian doctor who treated Liberian man tests positive to Ebola virus


One of the Nigerian doctors who treated Liberian Patrick Sawyer (pictured right) who died last week in Lagos of Ebola virus, has tested positive to the virus.

The Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, revealed this today Monday August 4th and also said that eight people who had first degree contact with the Liberian have been quarantined and are under strict observation.
Now after attending to Sawyer, this doctor, unaware that he'd exposed himself to Ebola, would have gone home to give his wife a kiss and hugged his daughter/son. God help us. More details later...

Pic: Nigerian prostitute, Patoo Abraham, leads protest for sex workers' rights in Lagos


Pictured above is a proud Nigerian prostitute named Patoo Abraham who led a protest for sex workers' rights in Lagos recently. Found the report on Al Jazeera. Read and be amazed...:-)
Patoo Abraham has become famous for fighting for the rights of prostitutes, but what she - and those she is trying to help - do to make a living is illegal and frowned upon by many in the country.  
Abraham is not only proud of her profession but is also campaigning to ensure that prostitution is legalised and that sex workers are respected in Africa's most populous country. 
The 48-year-old has led a couple of protests in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, demanding the rights of prostitutes in a country where sex vendors suffer physical harm at the hands of their punters.

Pastor Ituah Ighodalo denies saying he has cure for Ebola


Last week, popular Lagos pastor and founder of Trinity House church, Ituah Ighodalo, was credited as saying he has found a solution to the deadly Ebola disease and that Ebola victims should not seek medical attention. Ighodalo has denied saying this, insisting he was misquoted.

Below is a statement he released yesterday
"It has come to our attention a story published by the Punch newspaper written by one Temitayo Famutimi in response to a post on our official Facebook page. The original story was a message of hope and faith reminding us of the ever living words of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and reaffirming our belief that ‘with God all things are possible’ , using the John Lake testimony and written to encourage us never to cease praying no matter what we or the world may be going through."
Nowhere in the said story did Pastor Ighodalo make claims that he had found a solution or that “only God’s anointing and the living words of Jesus” were all that were needed for the Ebola disease or that people should not seek medical help and attention. Continue
In no way did the story suggest for people to act irresponsibly with regards to any medical emergency including the Ebola virus. The headline of the story and its contents were clearly written with sensationalism in mind. In the spirit of good journalism the  reporter  should have made attempts to contact the church to verify his story. This negates the practice of professional journalism, which we would have expected from a leading newspaper such as Punch. We sympathise with those who have lost loved ones to the disease and indeed most other diseases ravaging our world including AIDs, Cancer and Malaria and our prayer is that as the medical world continues to look for a solution to the disease and  that our God will provide succour and encouragement to all the innocent people going through this trauma  and do that, which only He can do”. The statement read

Below is what Ighodalo wrote on his Facebook page.

Lagos Govt warns TB Joshua not to accept Ebola victims in his church


The Lagos state government has warned pastor TB Joshua of Synagogue Church of All Nations not to accept Ebola victims if they come to him for healing.

According to The Nation officials of Lagos State Ministry of Health and the Federal Government, led by the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, visited him seeking his cooperation in ensuring victims of the deadly virus are not brought to his church for healing. Synagogue is a popular destination for sick people who go there for divine healing.
"We have our strategies that we intend to share with you. Again, we need to know the resources you have here because whether it is one or two cases, if they are allowed to get out, it is a major problem. We are here to work together on how to contain this disease,” Idris told the cleric." Dr Idris reportedly told Joshua. 

Sunday, 3 August 2014

Chibok girls fingered as suicide bombers


There have been an increase in female suicide attacks and a source who spoke with Vanguard thinks the female suicide bombers may be captured Chibok girls. The unnamed source said he believes that the girls may have been exposed to radicalization by their captors.
The source spoke about the possibility that the girls had been indoctrinated by the terrorists in the last three months of their captivity, hypnotized and sent into various parts of Nigeria and beyond with a view to carrying out deadly missions.
The source, who has contacts with the Boko Haram leadership, pointed out that it may be difficult to change radical orientation of the girls, who may now see their malevolent disposition as an act of righteousness.
"It may shock you to know that some of the girls being used for suicide bombings in parts of the North are among those taken from Chibok in April this year. It was clear from the outset that the girls would not come out the same, after being kept with their unwanted hosts for a long time”.
The Coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mr. Mike Omeri, has since said that the Chibok girls are not among the female bombers. But how do they know this for sure...?