KANO, May 18, 2014 (AFP) – A suspected car bomb ripped through a crowded entertainment spot in the north Nigerian city of Kano on Sunday, witnesses said.
Also at least 40 villagers were
killed and several others injured on Saturday evening in Dalwa-Masuba village
of Damboa local of Borno state in northeast Nigerian, security sources and
witnesses said.
Four people were killed, including a
young girl, in the suicide car bomb attack, the Kano State police
commissioner said.
“At about 2200 (2100 GMT), we heard
an explosion and immediately mobilised to the scene where we discovered a
suicide bomber… five people, including the bomber, were killed,” Adelere
Shinaba told reporters, adding that the victims were “three men and a girl of
about 12″.
Shinaba said it was too early to say
who was responsible for the attack, which happened in the busy Sabon Giri
district of the city.
Locals also said the blast was on a
busy road lined with bars in the predominantly Christian area of Sabon Giri,
and the blast could be heard several kilometres (miles) away, Channels
television said 10 people had been killed.
Aother eye witness who call Vanguard
on phone said that
about twenty five people were killed as a result of the bast.
about twenty five people were killed as a result of the bast.
A Reporter said the charred and
mangled remains of five cars could be seen outside one of the many bars and
eateries on the now deserted street, which was dimly lit because of power cuts.
A sixth car, a Volkswagen Golf said
by police to have been used by the bomber, was ripped into three pieces, with
its engine resting on the roadside.
Windows on the two-storey buildings
lining the street were smashed and armed police and soldiers stood guard.
The blast happened at about 9:30 pm
(2030 GMT) when the area was crowded with revellers as well as street hawkers
and traders.
Witnesses claimed that a car was
left in the Middle Road area of Sabon Giri and its driver left on a motorbike.
The blast happened soon afterwards.
Kano is Nigeria’s second-most populous
city and a commercial centre for the whole of the Muslim-majority north.
Local government elections were held
in Kano on Saturday, at which the main opposition All Progressives Congress
(APC) routed the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of President Goodluck
Jonathan, winning all 44 seats.
The PDP alleged irregularities and
said it would challenge the result, local newspapers said.
Links were made on social networking
sites to the local election but the explosion also came a day after Nigeria and
its neighbours announced a regional response to the threat by Boko Haram
Islamists.
The militant group has been holding
223 of 276 girls it kidnapped from a school in the town of Chibok, in
northeastern Borno state, on April 14, which has led to an international
response to find them.
40 killed village, burnt as gunmen
assail Borno village
About 40 villagers were killed
and several others injured on Saturday evening in Dalwa-Masuba village of
Damboa local of Borno state in northeast Nigerian, security sources and
witnesses said.
The gunmen who were reported to have
attacked the villages in their large numbers also burnt down the entire village
along side three pickup vans carrying fire woods from Damboa to Maiduguri, the
state capital.
A member of the security vigilante
(Abbas Gava) who spoke on phone, said no security personnel had reached the
attacked town at the time he was speaking.
“We heard about the attack from some
of the villagers who fled the village, and we had to drive there on our patrol
van; the entire village was set on fire, and about 40 persons lying dead all
over the place; three firewood pickups were also set ablaze”, the local
vigilante said.
But the attack however has not been
confirmed by the police and other security operatives, as all their phone
numbers could not be reached for confirmation as at press time.

No comments:
Post a Comment